News & Trade Life
Gas Safety Week 13th - 19th September 2021
Wednesday 21st April 2021
Carbon Monoxide - what do you need to know?
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which has no taste, colour or smell. It can make you feel seriously ill and can kill quickly without warning.
What are the signs of a carbon monoxide leak?
Carbon monoxide can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely. Look out for the following signs that could indicate that a gas appliance is not working correctly, and CO may be present in the house:
- Floppy yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue
- Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances
- Pilot lights that frequently blow out
- Increased condensation inside windows
What are the physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
If you're suffering from any of the symptoms and feel better when you leave the house, it could be CO poisoning. If you're concerned you or someone in your household may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure you do the following:
- Get fresh air immediately
- Open all doors and windows, switch off gas appliances and leave the house
- Contact your GP, who can check and advise if you need treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning
- If you're concerned there is immediate danger, call the gas emergency helpline on 0800 111 999.
How to stay Gas Safe
• Ensure your gas appliances are checked annually by a qualified Gas Safe Registered Engineer
• Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm marked EN 50291 which carries the British Standards Kitemark
About Gas Safety Week
The week-long annual campaign raises public awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances and is coordinated by Gas Safe Register.
Now that you know the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, why not pass it on and share this important information with your family, friends and neighbours, to help them all stay Gas Safe?